Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Unit three lab two

The purpose of this lab was to thes the effects of different factors have on our ability to have proper muscular function.
In the first exercise I was able to feel the effects of muscle contraction in my jawline and bicep, as well as see the effects of muscle contraction in my arm and fist with the use of a piece of paper.
in the second step of the exercise I first made a fist as many times as I could in 20 seconds which was 45. I then dipped my hand into water with ice for what felt like an hour but was only about 45 seconds because it hurt SO bad! After that in 20 seconds I could only make 20 fists.
The third portion of the experament was to see how many times I could make a fist in 20 seconds and repeat 10 times quickly. Results;
1. 63
2. 63
3. 62
4. 59
5. 59
6. 57
7. 56
8. 55
9. 52
10. 53

My results did not vary as much as I thought they would, but I do work out on a regular basis so they are pretty conditioned.
1. the changes I noticed in my muscles were both the prime mover growing and I think I could see the antagonist in my forarm (flexor Carpi) lengthening. Also I notices how quickly I could feel the muscle getting tired.
2. The cold water had a huge effect on my muscle, even while my hand was still submerged in the water, I could barely move it! and after I took it out it took a few minutes to get back to normal.
3. When my hand muscles were fatigued it made it much more difficult to squeeze the ball, it was still possible, but it was slower and at the end it hurt a lot and took a lot of effort to keep going.
4. I think that the reason for the fatigue is that after a short period of time all the stored ATP has been used up and the muscle is working to create more, but during the experament the muscle did not have enough energy to complete the tasks.

No comments: